Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Setting up Auto Archive For Various Mailboxes in Apple Mail

Apple mail is a simple and awesome email client. Ain't it!!! Now unlike other clients like MS Outlook, Apple email doesnot directly provide you the AutoArchive settings to archive ur emails from various mail boxes onto Your local drive. However the process in Apple email to set this up is a simple and direct one. Here is the Step by Step process to do so.

Say, I have multiple accounts configured in my Apple email and I want to set up auto archive for one of the Mailbox Accounts (Wipro in this example).

  • First I right-click(two finger click on Mac) on Inbox under the mailbox section in the left hand panel and select New Mailbox.




  • On the panel That Pops Up,  I give the new mailbox a name "Archive" and make sure that "On My Mac" is selected as the location of the mailbox. 



  • Now Since I want to have Archived mails from my Wipro Account's various folders like "Inbox" and "Sent" go to different archive folders on My Mac to give it a organized look, I build a subfolder mailbox called "Wipro Archive" under "Archive" and then, I build two subfolder mailboxes called "Inbox" and "Sent" under "Wipro Archive". The below snapshots show step by step build process of the organized archive mailbox structure.





  • Finally, my organized tree Archive mailbox folder structure looks something like this. 


  • Now to Manually Archive My emails from Wipro Account Server Mailboxes to these local folders, I can just go and select the emails in bulk or individually, right click and move to these local mailboxes. 
  • To Set up AutoArchive of old emails or emails qualifying certain conditions, I set up my own "Rules". For this, I go to Mail--->Preferences--->Rules and set up a couple of rules here: One for directing the old received emails from Inbox of Wipro Account to Inbox of Wipro Archive and another for directing the old sent emails from the Sent folder of Wipro Account to the Sent folder of Wipro Archive as shown in the snapshots below.






 Thats the end of this simple step by step write up of this process. Happy emailing and Happy Auto Archiving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular

Featured

Three Months of Chadhei